Do you feel duped?

If you felt a bit outraged about the pantsuit question at Kathleen Wynne’s swearing-in, you can now relax.

Turns out a gay man asked the question so it’s o.k. now (and BTW he is also a BIG Wynne fan!)  Christina Blizzard has the story – The premier wears pants:

…Sherman is quite the self-promoter. In 2009, he made the news when he proposed to his boyfriend onstage at a Mariah Carey concert in Las Vegas. And in 2010, he claimed to have gone on a blind date with former Toronto councillor Adam Giambrone.

If a straight guy had asked the pantsuit question, he’d have been labelled homophobic.

Oddly, gay people seem the ones most upset by Wynne’s outfit.

Their attitude seems to be, we thought we’d got ourselves a lipstick lesbian.

Fine, she’s gay, but does she have to dress so butch?

So it wasn’t a homophobic reporter trying to put down the new Premier. In fact her office knew this was coming:

Not only was the inquiry apparently approved by Liberal handlers — Wynne did an interview with the same show soon after her win in the effort to reach its younger female audience — it was responded to in a premeditated fashion that was so stilted that it wouldn’t have been worth the airtime in itself.

When I heard the pantsuit question I was a bit suspicious because it was so outrageous.  The reaction from the Twitterverse was immediate and decidedly supportive of Wynne.

So now we know – maybe not exactly a plant but perhaps just a little mischievous and deceptive?

This entry was posted in Liberal Party of Toronto, Media Issues, Ontario government, Ontario Politics. Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to Do you feel duped?

1. Blame Crash says:

Of course it was scripted propaganda theater designed to get the response it did. It’s all about delegitimizing any opposition to the cancerous Leftist Progs political and social agenda. They are doing what they always do and that’s to follow the American-Left tactics to a tee. For example, if you don’t like their economic policies, then obviously you’re a “homophobe”, if you oppose their social agenda, you must be a “gay basher”. And on and on it’ll go.

I give up on the Ontario voters. It’s hard to understand such malaise in a province so badly managed and yet the people who caused it and the one’s who have agreed to prop them up are topping the polls.

Given we are over 75% Christian, the country was built on Christian principles and our laws reflect the same, somebody should tell Mulcair he’s off the mark implying Christianity is un-Canadian, Christians do not share Christian values. Christian charities being called no better than Ugandan warlords, these people who are risking their lives to help people in the worst parts of the world get the basics of life.
    He also said this outside the HOC , at the very least we nee to have the PM call for him to apologize.

Duped isn’t the right word, outraged would be more like it. With a deficit problem that rivals California, according to this link, reporters are tittering over fashion statements.

My personal concern with Wynne is that she appointed herself agriculture minister, on the basis that her father used to visit farms in the summer. She has absolutely no knowledge of farming, or rural concerns. She mentioned that she hopes to explain to residents how wind energy and the whole GEA is good for them. All they need is more dialogue and they vote for Liberal values again…. Good luck with that, come next election they will probably lose the one rural seat they now have. Can’t happen soon enough.

Good Grief! Ontario’s circling the bowl and this is what it’s all about.
    Whichever side of the bed Ms Wynne gets in on or off of, who cares.
    She was part of the team that put Ontario in third world style debt.
    But just like BC the Journos are much more focused on necklines or inappropiate questions.
    I guess I must be getting old.
    There was a time when a stupid question would have put a so called journo beyond the pale.
    I personally would not care if Ms Wynne capered into her swearing in in a clown suit topped off with a propeller beanie.
    Which would make her the poster girl for windmills LOL
    Can I say that?
    She still has no mandate from the voters.
    Serious questions should have been asked not fluff ones from fashionistas posing as reporters. JMO
    As for “I’m gonna explode any minute” Mr Muclair he is apparently in a race to the bottom having caught up with the Liberals.
    His phony outrage is apparently no match for Justins vacuous pronoucements and certainly nowhere near as good as the late Jack Layton’s phony outrage.
    Just another day in Canadian Politics gentle readers.
    The questions that could be asked, aren’t.
    They are certainly never answered.
    See “The Simpsons” monorail song.

Hudak bashing has started in ernest I am sorry to see Conservatives chime in
    Very foolish if we think the NDP will improve Ontario

Why do you suggest this fh? Could you provide proof?
      Just because there are Ontario Conservatives who don’t see Hudak as favourable isn’t bashing. That’s just their opinion. It’s not yours but it’s as right as yours is.

Please everyone EVERYONE listen to the platforms of PC versus NDP

My personal take on this is that the Wynne administration let gays down by allowing such a stereotypical question – by a radio personality who wasn’t even actually part of the Queen’s Park media.

good link to learn more about Tim Hudak

Don’t you think that the folks here know a little something about Tim Hudak fh?
      Some of us have been here a long time and have been familiar with Hudak for longer. Some first time visitors here may not….for sure.

Hudak’s message and white papers are just NOT getting the responses I believe they were expecting. Whether it’s timing or delivery, something’s not hitting the mark…even among the usual PC friendlies.

It’s a good thing that my region will stay Tory blue for a long, long while. I can assure you of that. That said, the riding association links on the main Ont. PC website should be working and the riding association contacts should be answering their mail and message to help people join and renew memberships. Don’t know if that’s just here but it just doesn’t feel right to me.

Not a word on Green energy boondoggles. The NDP is just an accomlice to McGuinty/Wynne renewable energy fiascoes.

odd though Martin that in the presser Horwath just gave she’s coming out way stronger on getting to the bottom of the gas plant fiasco than Hudak has.

Joanne prefaced this thread with a question.
        “Do you feel duped?”
        Yes Joanne I do. By all of them.

Yeah I must admit I’m feeling a bit let down too.

I’m also conflicted because I was a Harris Tory and I’m liking Andrea Horwath, would NEVER vote NDP but of all the leaders she’s got something that’s appealing.

Can she capitalize on that? I believe she can and it scares me to think that the NDP could flip many current Liberal held seats in the GTA, Windsor and Hamilton. The Libs. and PCs would fight it out for Ottawa, but the NDP could grab the north and we’d have an NDP government.

That is highly possible IMO. Do I like it? Nope.

It is possible just because it has happened before. However, I think most voters remember the Rae period well enough not to want a repeat. In ridings like yours, the NDP are not taken seriously and this is true for much of rural Ont. I see Horwath as simply the other side of McGuinty on wind turbine industrialization, cannot see her picking up any rural seats except for N Ont.
              She has to gain 37 seats in the urban and north and that will be very hard to do. For the sake of the province, I really hope you are wrong, nothing personal, of course!

the perfect storm is setting itself up again in Ontario in exactly the same way Martin.

Horwath is doing a very good job of distancing herself and her party from Rae, AND, McGuinty was way worse than Rae.

Rural Ontario can not carry the province even if it’s all Blue Martin.

And, actually you don’t know about my riding because the NDP DO have a higher profile than do the Liberals currently.

Just north of my riding, is a riding where the Greens came in 2nd place.

Horwath currently has what the PCs and Liberals don’t…..momentum and popularity as a leader.

Among even local Liberals and PCs alike, they say it’s too bad she’s with the NDP

it got lots of media attention when it was launched a few weeks ago. However, at that time, Joanne’s blog was down and this was discussed over at Sandy’s.

A good reminder though, but it’s getting trumped by an overly active news cycle, and the fact that a new gov’t and Premier for Ontario is getting the most attention. Not unusual.

Another good reminder of what the PCs said in October. What’s new?

every one please take time to get to the bottom of this statement
      date Feb 13 2013 that is the PC stand and it is the same stand that they have had on the Liberal scandals

This whole thing is fascinating me, educating me…..that perhaps my interpretation of drama VS reality over several years of observation may be accurate. (Like most of us here @ BLY)
    Soooooo the question becomes, what to do.

I perceive this as now a question of when folks will finally feel like they have had enough devastation. Or perhaps when THEIR moral compass is compromised.

I don’t see that happening any time soon. This is the USA nightmare and Ont is following that nightmare. IMHO.

I think the mess that is Ontario is way beyond trying to figure out who might win the next election, we need a united opposition, for the leaders to stop playing for their own political skins and do the right thing, turf
    McWinnety.
    Surely people are savvy enough to know the NDP would be the worst choice to take over the province in dire financial straights no mater how winsome the leader is.

lots on environment at QP
    good solid facts here

Is anyone else surprised by how much money the school divisions paid Justin Trudeau to speak?

same old same old environment
    facts found here

So when is Ms Pantsuit going to ask Ontarians for a mandate?
    She wasn’t elected as Premier, McGuinty was.

Dippers only prop up Liberals until they know their numbers are higher and firm.
    Could have an election in 2014????
    I like Mr Hudak, he’ll be a good Premier.

Having a few technical issues. Will have to shut down comments for a bit. Sorry folks.

They sure are I am not sure that this is necessary.
    It did not happen while senate was stacked with Liberal supporters.
    Funny that. Are they throwing the remaining Liberal senators under the bus?
    No one can tell if the expenses or travel is on the up and up.
    But it conveniently drags them all through the MUD.
    I would like to see the House of commons members listed in this manner only fair .

Well the Official Opposition is the NDP of course, so they will see this as an issue to use against both of the other parties. Tactically it makes sense but a lot of good people may get hurt in the process.

date Feb 06, 2013 but given the debate for Liberal Leader

haven’t visited this site for a long time