New Year’s Introspection

As the clock counts down on what is left of 2012 and all the political dramas that are unfolding, I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a very Happy & Peaceful New Year.

I’ve been blogging since December 2005 when I started under the name Joanne’s Journey, and then eventually switched to WordPress and the present name BlueLikeYou.

I’ve made some great virtual and real-life friends through this blog and all the related activity.

However I’ve also reached a point where I need to take a break and reassess my own personal goals, priorities and time commitments.

As anyone who has a blog will tell you, it takes a crazy amount of time to keep up on a regular basis. There is a lot of technical behind-the-scenes work, as well as trying to keep up on current news items – before you even begin writing. And then there is that constant mental pressure of checking comments in case some get stuck in the filter, and trying to assess which ones might need to be deleted, and so on.

So I’m hoping this break will free me up to meditate a bit on where I’m going at this point and what my goals and priorities will be going forward.

While I am away on this little soul-searching journey I hope regulars here will find a new place to congregate. I highly recommend Sandy’s blog at Crux of the Matter.

Comments here may be open for a while but please do check out other terrific blogs at Blogging Tories.

Not sure if or when I’ll be back but thanks so much for all your support over the years.

You guys are the best.

This entry was posted in Blogging, grassroots power. Bookmark the permalink.

67 Responses to New Year’s Introspection

Thankyou Joanne, you have done a great job keeping us informed and giving us a place to debate and voice our worries. I am sure you need a break but I will miss you and all my friends a BLY.
    Happy New Year to you and your family.

Jo I know what you mean and please PLEASE take a well deserved break
    If you do decide to stop completely you will be missed
    One meagre suggestion is to Blog once or twice each week with comments open for that day only
    I know you will find it difficult to stop cold turkey and you need a complete break
    I read comments that are so gross I don’t know how they succeed getting posted at other blogs you do a top notch job of keeping them off your Blog
    Happy New Year

Sorry to close abruptly but son was on FaceTime and he arrived safely but was heading to bed for a well deserved sleep

a very Happy New Year to your family and friends Joanne and a very Happy New Year to all at BLY

Thanks Joanne, we will miss you and this great place you have provided us through hard work and dedication over the years.

Wishing you and yours and all here at BLY happiness, peace and joy for 2013.

This is a perfect time to do exactly what you’re doing Joanne. You’ve got my support.
    Shhhh, I’ve been doing exactly the same thing over this past week and it’s been very refreshing. Stepping back gives you new perspective and you see things you missed before.
    One of the good things about being your own boss, as you are at BLY is that you can take a break….just because you can. That’s the great thing about having choices at your disposal too. I see this as a positive move for you……whatever you decide and for however long you need to decide.
    Sometimes social media isn’t all it’s cut out to be. Helpful, cutting edge, allows input, great discussion…….but there’s a flip side that few see that wears one down.
    Thank-you for the time you’ve put in to your blog Joanne.
    Just let go. It will make resurfacing all that much better.
    Happy New Year.

6. JoeFrmEdm says:

Thanks Joanne for the unbiased articles good luck with any future endeavour you will be missed………….

7. Alberta Girl says:

Happy New Year Joanne..thanks for a friendly place to stop by to vent, cry, rage or just spend some time with friends. Remember back in 2011 when CPC got their majority. I breathed a sigh of relief because I (mistakenly) thought we would have four years of peace. Oh, how wrong I was.

Seems things are not getting easier…you will be missed if you choose to step away. I for one, selfishly, hope you don’t.

Enjoy your haiatus…rest, relax, rejuvenate, cuddle your grandbaby and maybe stop by to comment on twitter so we don’t have to go cold turkey!

Well folks, it looks like there will be a 2013 ;) so that in itself deserves one to stop and reflect.

The humour and intellectual content of this Blog is unmatchable, anywhere. Thank you Joanne (and your patient family) for it all. For putting together compelling topics for TRUE BLUERS to gather and discuss.

We are friends, we are a family and I would like to say thank you!

Happy New Year to one and all!

Thanks Joanne for a terrific job! “All good things must come to an end”, I suppose, and this is no exception. Though I’m not in here “all the time”, I do consider it a privilege and feel I’ve gotten to know several of you. I sincerely hope to see you carrying on the quest through the recommended sites and elsewhere. Bubba needs a place to unload too, as well as other able-minded ones, above for examples. BEST to all for 2013 and thanks for the memories!!

10. soundofmusak says:

Proroguing? Hypocrite. ;-)

If you decide to close down your blog, you will definitely be missed. IMO, yours is a rarity among most other conservative blogs I visit. Even when a commenter disagrees with you, you always manage to remain even-tempered and open-minded toward such differences as long as they are presented civilly, unlike at some other blogs, where at times discussion is closed down arbitrarily.

Thank you for all the work and effort you put into your blog and may 2013 bring you and your family happiness, health … and why not, wealth!

Thanks Gabby. I’ve always appreciated your input. Yours is the voice that makes me think twice and reconsider my own opinion.

Your blog site has always been my favourite. I took a rest myself, from commenting.lol
    You will be missed. Hopefully you will reappear when something major comes up, so everyone has somewhere to go to vent.
    Happy New Year and all the best to you and your family.

Thanks for the great feedback everyone. I love you all and I’m not saying this is adieu; just need a time-out to reflect.

I do appreciate all the support!

However the Spirit leads, Joanne. You’re never alone in that. Moose & Squirrel’s Natasha is going through that same introspection. “The great ones” just have to confront it now and then. Peace, sister… However it works out.

15. Anne in swON says:

I started reading your posts back when you wrote about Joanne’s Journey, although I don’t believe I ever left a comment. I enjoyed your perspective and your writing style and knew I had happened upon a kindred spirit. For a number of reasons I stopped reading blogs and lost track of you until my interest in politics was rekindled. I found you again under Blue Like You. Hallelujah! Although I remain a faithful reader I have been remiss in leaving comments. I’m always beaten to the punch by people like Richco and Gabby who usually express my sentiments far better than I ever could. Please know how grateful I am for your consistence and constancy. Thanks, Joanne, for being my port in a storm. All the best for 2013 and beyond.

we need to start thinking about the socialist mind game because NO ONE wins

Used to peruse most of the BT blogroll until practicality narrowed it down to a few must-reads. Blue Like You has long been top of the shortened list over the years. As I have mentioned once before, it was attention to, but not restricted to, the Ontario political scene that got my attention. That ,coupled with well thought out and respectful dialogue on the bloggers part, has drawn like-minded commenters to the discussions.

If it takes time and effort to keep up with reading blogs, it has surely come to mind the dedication of those who on a timely basis, research, neatly package with appropriate attributes, and again, respectfully respond to those who care to leave comments while at the same time trying to lead their lives. You Joanne have filled that role immensely and it would be selfish of us to deny you a well-earned break (I say break because we expect your return in some form of regularity in the future, lol).

May you and all BLYlanders have a great and prosperous new year.

What a nice tribute. Thanks MadMacs.

I do hope this is just a break and not the end. I just have some things to figure out. Love this blog but I do need to get a handle on things elsewhere in my life.

I never really got into the whole blogging thing until a few years back. And even since, only a half dozen of them I would frequent with BLY by far being my favourite. In fact, I created a batch file so that with one click all of my favourite websites could open in tabs. BLY is the first blog to open in the sequence and I love reading all Jo’s posts as well as the comments section every morning before work. For me, checking BLY every day was just one of those things… automatic really. You had a great blog going here, Joanne, and you and it will be missed. I hope you’ll be back at some point. But in case you’re not, good luck to you and your future endeavours and all the best in the new year.

19. frmgrl says:

Stepping back, assessing things is something one has to do from time to time. Sometimes one needs to take the time to breathe. That’s exactly what I have been doing the last little while. Plus spending time with my new little granddaughter. Those little ones sure do give a person a whole different perspective on life and what is really important.

So take your time, Joanne. Enjoy your little grandchild and the rest of your family. A change for awhile is as good as a rest. You have become a true inspiration to me and the whole BLY nation helps me to see that I am not alone in the way I feel about certain issues. Everyone here has had very insightful comments and I hope at some point in the future we can all gather here again to discuss the important issues that affect us all.
    Everyone at BLY nation, Have a Very Happy and Blessed New Year!

20. Frances says:

Happy New Year, Joanne. Hope you get a good break and come back refreshed. I’m not from Ontario, but am always interested reading your take on that province’s politics.

21. Bruce says:

Thank you so very much Joanne, God bless you.

Sometimes a rest, a time out is in order Jo, I will miss your wit and wisdom.
    Yet I am thinkin’ you will not “Go gently into that good night” anymore than the rest of us.
    We all bring something different to the table, the comments can be pithy but yet we have discovered our voices, “silent no more”
    Nor inclined to be sold a bill of goods by some progressive flim-flam man or woman.
    Those people always try to start by trying to tell us who we are, pegs my BS meter every time.
    If they ever met an honest to goodness hard working family orientated, proud supporter of Canada and our armed forces.
    Well they would just hurry away as if nothing at all had happened.
    They do not know who we are, they never did.
    Watching the NDP-Q gather at the feet of a grandstanding politician, I am thinking we should initiate an award.
    It could be called a “Jack” and given to the politician whose entitled entitlements and phony indignation is only exceeded by their complete lack of respect for taxpaying hard working Canadians.
    We give them “MacRoberts Reply”
    Lady MacRoberts was a widow who raised three sons after her husbands death.
    All were fliers in the Airforce in the second world war.
    One was killed in a1938 flying accident , in 1941 the second son was killed on operations in Iraq.
    Six weeks later the third was killed in action.
    Her response was to buy a Sterling Bomber which was christened “MacRoberts Reply`.
    She also bought 4 Hurricane Fighters for the war effort 3 were christened the MacRoberts fighter.
    The third simply called the Lady
    Her sons came by their courage honestly.
    What a wonderful indomitable woman.
    To me she personifies, All gave some, some gave all
    God bless you all.
    I am a Conservative, completly lacking a reverse gear, so moving forward!
    Cheers!
    Enjoy your time with the little one Jo.

I find that after having taken some down time I’m more particular about which blogs get my attention. Yours does because the posts are short and sweet for the most part, so I can focus on bullets instead of essays, that take too much time to read and even more time to respond to adequately.

I’m less inclined to visit blogs that dwell on the other guys and more interested in talking up our side and writing our own narratives……because we can.

Thanks again for all the thoughtful and kind comments. I won’t try to respond to each one, but you all have a place in my heart.

I feel good that I may have made a difference, and that this little place has given us all a chance to exchange ideas and concerns.

In order to give myself a complete rest the comment form will be turned off within the next day or so (ones already there will still be visible). But please feel free to email me. Can’t promise a speedy reply but will get back to you when I can.

Thanks everyone!

Happy New Year, Joanne and everyone at BLY!!

Wow, am I glad 2012 is gone, gone, gone. Never thought I’d find a year that I couldn’t wait to get rid of. And, sure enough, it ends with Joanne’s post (Dec. 31/12) stating she might not be back. During the year, we have had one problem after another to the extent we’d look at each other and say “no, it can’t be.” From a broken arm to spending Christmas and New Year’s with the flu (both of us), from vandalism to emergency hospital visits, from squirrel problems to living next to a neighbor from hell (over 20 years), and that’s only part of it. No need to bore further. But, at least, we had BLY. :-)

2012, a difficult year for many. Our cross-eyed bear certainly tested us this past year. Happily, we survived. What’s that saying, “if it doesn’t kill you, it makes you stronger”? :-)

Cross-eyed bear = “the cross I bear.”

Joanne, PM Harper ought to present you with the Order of Canada medal. You are worthy of such an honour, unlike many who are there.

They say one person can make a big difference in this world. You are an example of such a person. Imagine all of the people you have touched since you started your blog in 2005. Wow, that’s a lot of people. The educational output you have provided in all areas of life is massive. Look at all the people who have benefited from your work on the net, the knowledge being passed from one to another and onward. Look at the inspiration you have provided to many who decide to get involved. Look at all those “star” posters that have been born thanks to your blog and the power of knowledge that they convey to the internet audience. What has flowed from your blog is immeasureable.

The pen is mightier than the sword: look at the impact of your blog – a majority Conservative government. And that’s just one example. :-)

Bottom line: your goals and priorities. Yeah, life is short. As they say, enjoy it while you can. We’re not getting any younger. There is only so much you can do. So, yeah, taking time to meditate about the rest of our lives is a wise decision. You can figure what is most important.

On the other hand, we took care of Dion, then put away Iggy, and now there’s Trudeau. Now, wouldn’t that be icing on the cake. Do you really want to go now?? LOL (Just teasing.)

PS: it would be an absolute delight to meet all the BLY’ers in person somewhere down the road. So many fascinating people. :-)

Ed, you’re too kind but thanks so much for all that.

Sorry about all your problems at Christmas and New Years. These things always seem worse at a time when everyone is supposed to be happy. My cousin who is around my age just lost her husband. I guess part of my existential angst is realizing how precious life is and that we shouldn’t take it for granted.

VERY OFF TOPIC
    I tried posting at Sandy’s
    this was to add to comments on Sandy’s letter to Chief Spence

Thanks for that Fh. Were you having trouble leaving a comment at Sandy’s?

Yes I clicked post and my post was swept away.
        I see Sandy rescued my post from her spam filter and it is posted on Sandy’s site now. I have to add a letter to my moniker. fhl at a few of the other blogs don’t know why?

Glad the problem is resolved.

So am I
            I added the L (fhl) for love
            anyone know why 2 letters for name not accepted by some blogs?

Sandy just cleared up the fhl
              you know I will miss you Jo.
              Love your Twitter messages I can see that keeps you busy.
              Give us a warning when you close your Blog for well deserved rest.

Well I’m probably going to close comments within the next day or so but the blog itself will still be accessible for now while I mull things over.

27. old white guy says:

Happy New Year……. i think many of us are getting tired. i read the same things over and over. lots of rightous indignation but nothing ever changes. good luck, take it easy and enjoy…… my annual sojurn in flordia is coming up, i hope i can still afford it.

28. Kim says:

One less hyper partisan hack! Happy days!

I usually blow this kind of comment away but regular readers can see some of the sh*t I’ve had to put up with. I won’t miss this aspect of blogging.

Last Post Jo as a party and as a group we have all come a long way together.
    I know exactly what you mean when you speak of the fragility of life.
    We lost 4 extended family members in two weeks in early December, a father at 94 his son at 70 and a husband and wife to a MVA.
    But life goes on, the grandstanding by the oppos is just that.
    They can’t move on until they accept their loss, in politics as in life this is true.
    I would worry if they suddenly went quiet.
    It would as with children be time to look and see just what they are up to.
    We as a party have about 34 months left of our mandate and with 30 new seats in Ontario and in the west we are looking good.
    Mr Kinsella feels that PM Harper has created the winning conditions for Junior Trudeau.
    He apparently thinks that the steady hand acting wisely is no match for big hair, party tricks and risk taking.
    I think Canadians will have something to say about that.
    I hope Junior gets the leadership.
    We will take the next election IMHCO so he will languish for at least 6 or 7 more years.
    He will look stranger in ripped jeans then he does now.
    Mean while this old dude will rock on regardless.
    Ed I am on house #7 made money on each and every one, had some fabulous neighbors.
    One however was very, very bad combination of bad habits and worse attitudes.
    But I got even Ed, I forgave them, never descended to their level, ain’t easy but it worked.
    If ever we sit around the campfire and share a brew, or two, I will tell you a story.
    Wasn’t funny at the time, sure is now.
    “May those that love us, love us
    And those that don’t love us,
    May God turn their hearts;
    And if he dosen’t turn their hearts
    May he turn their ankles
    So we will know them by their limping”
    (Irish blessing.)

Leave slowly Jo, but hurry back

And there is a terrific life-lesson.

I’ll miss you Bubba.

sorry I am off topic good site here

Jo @ 12:28 Me Too ;<(

If anyone here decides to start up their own blog, please let me know via email!

I could not put up with all you do.
        I am sure you feel exhausted but I want you to be back if possible.
        You manage to pick the best topics and have attracted a good reliable group to add to your topic of discussion.
        I have not been able to find any ANY other blog that even comes close to your Blog
        The decision is yours and hope you continue both here and on Twitter.
        Best wishes for a happy healthy 2013.

Hi, Joanne.

I’m sorry to hear about your cousin’s lost. It’s quite a shock when these things happen. We extend our sympathies to you and your family. I lost a cousin a couple of years ago. She was only two years older than I and it was unexpected. I’ll always remember because it happened on my birthday. And then, last August, a neighbour lost her husband unexpectedly at the age of 55. She attempted to wake him up in the morning but he was gone. What a shock. This guy seemed to be in perfect shape, no known problems. It really shook me up for quite some time. I still find it hard to accept. He leaves behind two great youngsters in their twenties.

Over the past few years, so many in our area have passed away way too young. Last year was tough with a terrible summer, no rain, little wind, very hot, and very polluted air most of the time. It was difficult for many of the elderly.

As for our problems, although bad, they were miniscule compared to the problems of so many. When we hear the problems of others, we realize how fortunate we are and count our blessings. A close friend of mine has an aggressive form of cancer, removing his prostate was too late.

Anyway, it’s 2013 and it’s going to be a better year for everyone. Now, if I can get rid of this annoying cough, let’s see, how about some vodka, my favourite drink. LOL

Yes that is a great idea to count our blessings Ed! It is really important to focus on what is going on around us in our relationships and so on. That is part of what I’m going to try work in my time away from all of this.

Hi, Bubba.

Thank you for your comments, much appreciated. Looking forward to sharing a beer or two with you sometime in the not too distant future. There certainly will be lots of laughs judging by your nature. Having traveled this great country from Newfoundland to just inside Golden, BC, we certainly expect to do more of the same as soon as possible. Of course, I’m living to a hundred so I do have some time. LOL

I’ll have a few stories to tell as well. However, this neighbour is so sick that we just love not thinking about her. You will not believe what we have put up with. And, yes, we never descended to their level in all those years. It has been very difficult for me to keep my cool all that time and to the present but everyone helps by saying ignore them. It must be the Irish in me that gets me so riled up. :-)

Take care, Bubba

Good morning! As we are still here neighbors from hell or not.
    I just wish I had had a video camera when she pulled out all the stops, all her clothes off and did the full monty on her front lawn.
    I woulda put it on U-Tube, investing in eye bleach first.
    Forget about calling in a break and enter, stolen boat, motercycle whatever.
    All you will is Constable Connie giving y’all a file number so your insurance company can acess the file.
    Police response is instant, if you make a “naked woman” call, they really, really put the pedal to da metal.
    I have seen better lookin’ bods in National Geographic LOL.
    We are planning to go across Canada late spring, in our “new truck” ’98 Dodge ‘n camper hopefully one more thing off the bucket list.
    Anyway a very good article stating the obvious PM Harper’s support is deep and steady.
    It is still being said however that “60% that don’t support etc”.
    That is wrong , just plain disingenuous, how do they know how people that did not vote for instance don’t “like” someone?
    I guess if I order the steak for supper I must hate the other choices on the menu.
    Best comment on the so called hunger strike.
    The Chief in every band in Canada should have to live in the worst shack on the reserve.
    The thinking is that things would change very quickly.

Good plan!

At which point I exit – stage right.

God bless Canada!