Good luck Stephen Woodworth

And thank you to Professors Farrow, Allen and von Heyking for daring to speak the truth:

“Though there is much debate philosophically over the essence of personhood, few doubt that the human fetus carries within itself the requisite attributes for personhood,” the professors wrote. “It has nevertheless been tempting not to count the pre-born among those with legal standing, just as it was once convenient not to count slaves or women. With much difficulty we faced our moral failure with respect to the latter and modified the law accordingly…”

Original source: National Post letters.

Related

Stephen Woodworth’s dastardly plan is to free Canadians from fear of discussing abortionKelly McParland

Baby bumps? Why not ‘fetus bumps’?Lifesite

“Within the womb, it was a fetus, outside the womb–even temporarily, even preterm–it was an unborn child.”  - Source: Falling for the Same Old ‘Overturn’ Trap.

Update

Worth checking out: D’Amato: Woodworth correct in seeking fetal rights discussion – Record

Somerville: The right to life and Canada’s democracy – Calgary Herald

This entry was posted in Abortion, Canadian Parliament, Political correctness. Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to Good luck Stephen Woodworth

Canadians must MUST become engaged on this morally reprehensible practice of abortion on demand
    when the demand for change comes from the people after they have examined all the details then and only then can the parliament of Canada get their committee to act and make it clear that we need to change
    why? Why? are statistics being kept from Canadians?

2. Relayer says:

I’ll be glad when Mr. Woodward’s bill dies, unloved, and unwanted. This divisive crap has to stop, along with Conservatives telling others what to do with their bodies.
    And yes, I’m a card-carrying CPC member.

Discussion on M-312 starting now. You can follow on Twitter.

4. Paul says:

Another card carrying CPC member here. I worked on the Woodworth campaign the last 2 elections. Non-voting spectator next time.
    I am sure Mr. Harper can get along without him.

Non-voting spectator next time.

Just because of M312? If so why?

• Paul says:

It started with the timing of his announcement, 2 days before Christmas. Trying to turn the family holiday season into a time for political conversation?
        I respect the women in my life, and the decisions they make.
        However, it is not my place or that of any other man to tell any person, man or woman how to live their life.
        Personally I do not agree with abortion, but pregnacy was never something I was going to experience.
        Mr. Woodworth was elcected to represent ALL of his constituents, in this instance he is pushing a personal agenda.

And yet we do as a society set limits when individual behaviour harms another human being.

• Paul says:

Sorry Joanne I am not going to be drawn into discussion on social issues. It is important to you, not me.
            I respect the women in my life and the decisions they make.
            Mr. Woodworth and his ilk do not.
            I am more concerned about how liberals want to bring back Khadr.

No problem. Everyone has their own viewpoint.

I was just told on Twitter that this is a huge plot to force white Christian women to breed and keep out immigrants. Or at least that’s what I interpret from the pro-choicers I was chatting with.

Who knew?

I agree with you that it’s divisive and simply not worth pursuing, though I disagree with you on your second point, namely that the problem is with Conservatives — which you claim to be a supporter of, though your concluding remark, which is a technique often employed by the left, leaves me skeptical of that — wanting to tell women what to do with their body. Conservatives who disagree with Woodworth don’t even level that charge, only that it’s divisive. And those who do are a fringe minority, certainly not the majority.

But while I’m pro-life, I think pursuing the issue is a complete waste of time. Even a compromise position, such as implementing restrictions on abortion as opposed to an outright ban, is not in the cards either. It’s a dead end. Govt’s policy on the matter is something that, like gay marriage, is never going to change so better just to accept it, as much as that may sound like a cop-out.

There is one positive about the debate, though. The more it’s discussed, the more the Media Party reinforces the Canadians that PMSH is not some scary social conservative (their words, not mine) bent on criminalizing abortion if and when he ever got a majority… I’m still waiting for their apologies for being accomplices with the opposition, carrying that claim — along with repealing gay marriage and reinstating the capital punishment — in an effort to stop him from winning a majority, something to this point they refuse to even acknowledge as having done, let alone apologize for. With a majority, PMSH has passed the test, unlike Mulcair who hasn’t formed a gov’t yet, and yet they’re calling Tory claims against him on plans to bring in a carbon tax bogus and fictitious and just part of a fear and smear campaign. Hypocrites.

Jon, I assume you are responding to “Relayer”.

Very astute observations all around. The only thing I don’t agree with is that this debate is a waste of time. I don’t think it hurts to discuss new developments in science and fetal medicine and how that impacts our present laws and assumptions.

It’s not a pleasant subject though and one that most people prefer to avoid.

• jon says:

Yes, it was in reply to Relayer. For some strange reason, when I posted on BLY, comments don’t go through initially, instead the browser screen goes blank. The browser’s back button seems to send the user back to the open comment box that appears at the bottom of the screen, instead of the reply window… not sure why that is. Probably my settings rather than the browser.

Again, I don’t think it hurts to discuss it either. In fact, beneficial in a way, as stated above. But I do think it serves as a distraction. I guess though it will be beneficial to have heads counted just so the issue can be put behind everyone, so as to get on with other important business.

BTW regarding gay marriage and gay rights, here’s an article in today’s Post about a fellow Blogging Tory.

We’ve come a long way baby! lol!

• Paul says:

Fiscal Conservatives like myself do not have to share all social Conservative beliefs. Less taxes, less intrusive government and better implementation of policies serve us all well.
      Usually it is only the left-wing liberals that believe we must all agree on their dearly held beliefs.

….debunking the myth that Conservatives are one big happy family of course. Sounds pretty normal to me.

• Paul says:

Who ever said Conservatives were one big happy family? Are any political parties?
          I support Stephen Harper, Stephen Woodworth not any more. He made his choice, I made mine.

The criminal code IS a means to punish ‘wrong doing’.
    Prevention of unwanted pregnacies is the answer,
    not punishment.

We just can’t go there.

Yes but how do we deal with women who want to get pregnant until they realize they’re having a girl (or boy)?

• jon says:

“Changing the criminal code this way would have unintended consequences, and turn lawmakers into morality police .”

Unrelated, but speaking of gov’t getting into the morality business, having grown up in Toronto, I remember back in the 80s the Toronto Police having a unit called the “Morality Squad” as well as an “Asian Crime Unit”, both of which done away with a long time ago, probably for PC reasons more than anything else. But your point is well taken. And I too would rather stick to the fundamental responsibilities of gov’t as you’ve laid them out to be.

you’re right wilson.

Good point Jo, and again what about the recipient of fertility treatments that finds she has twins, triplets or more and decides to abort based on sex , or whatever an ideal family is or isn’t, which will be allowed to live.
    Two out of three one out of four.
    These are lives, beating hearts which will be stilled forever, I don’t want bans or new laws either.
    I do think we need a discussion however.
    Keep out of my bedroom, hands off, until of course the bill is presented.
    Don’t tell me what I can or can’t do with “MY” body!
    O.K. but what about what you are doing with that little body?
    I think with the universal acess to birth control which is about the cost of a couple of starbucks coffee a month.
    Why are we still having this conversation?

what about the recipient of fertility treatments that finds she has twins, triplets or more…

Agreed.

Selective abortion is a huge ethical dilemma.

Sigh……..”Baby bumps……why not fetus bumps” what more is there to say?

I guess there is an opinion out there that is reasoning this question to be a ‘women’s right to choose’ which I personally am not questioning. However I believe the question raised by MP Woodworth is ‘WHAT is that, a mass of cells, a human being and at what point?’

Why is that so challenging? It doesn’t question ‘a women’s right to choose’ (although a DAD gets zero say but I apparently digress) but it is asking WHEN is a ‘fetus’ deemed a human being.

An ultrasound these days is probably eating up a HUGE portion of our maternal health care. These ‘fetus’ are BABIES to all family members. They are human beings to us and panicked Mom’s and Dad’s end up in Maternity wards with pre-term labour delivering healthy, viable HUMANS at 6+ months.

So why are we not respecting the fact that this MP is on to something? Why is he treated as though he is asking a question that some of us are not curious to know the answer?

Exactly. And yes there probably are more important issues out there like the economy but this is simply a private member’s motion – not even a bill.

It appears that the politically-correct thing to do in Canada is to deem an unborn child is a human being only if the mother chooses to proceed with the pregnancy. That gives women incredible power, doesn’t it?

We have what IMO is a most insidious largely provincial issue politicians are ignoring thus allowing to happen.

These would be the same school boards that banned the passing out of free Gideons in schools, no Lord’s Prayer, no Christmas concerts, basically anything to do with our Christian heritage. I’m not so sure Halloween will survive, apparently it too is offensive to Muslims.

Now we learn of a Catholic school allowing prayer space for Muslim students. This is now raising questions as to why we are funding a separate duplicate system supposedly for Catholic students?

With all day kindergarten, French and English schools in both systems do we have a recipe for an economic disaster or are we already there?

“While supposedly taking religion from public schools the various boards are now proposing to cede to Muslim requests for prayer rooms in our schools. How long before these requests become demands?”

Interesting that it’s the London Catholic board, the Peel and TDSB boards facilitating religious accommodation in our schools…..just like John Tory proposed and was vilified for two elections ago. Today, all with the blessing of the McGuinty gov’t.

Exactly Richco, John Tory wasn’t only vilified, he lost the election over it.

Not one of the parties will touch this, like abortion, they’ll avoid it like the plague unless they can use these contentious issues as a last refuge against Conservatives. Somehow it always matters how Conservatives feel about abortion or religion in schools at election time, they’re part of the arsenal of the Left which includes the media.

my biggest problem with a “women’s right over her body to choose” is IS
    then we all have the right over our body to choose; to choose to drink and drive to smoke excessively to eat excessively and I am sure all our readers will agree with me
    why limit the right to choose to women’s right to choose abortion
    the problems surely arise when the fetus becomes a viable baby and then the rights of the fetus surely come in to play I am reminded by

GREAT point and frankly I doubt many people have thought of this in those terms nor especially, evaluated the enormous hypocrisy that what you are throwing out there, suggests. Good job!

As for Richco @1:35 PM

We have chartered schools in AB that have been hugely successful under that model. It was one of the reasons that I just didn’t get the backlash directed at Tory. Other things? Perhaps but not that with the success that we have had and our kids are excelling in them. Our public system is a systemic nightmare with the obvious one being the Edmonton Physics teacher who gave zeros…..

More Teacher’s like him, please!

• Paul says:

“It was one of the reasons that I just didn’t get the backlash directed at Tory.”
        Tory is a Conservative, the teacher’s unions led the backlash.
        It was wrong and at times racist.

here is a good source for information
    on what the Conservative Canadian Government and our Prime Minister the best Prime Minister for Canadians Stephen Harper has been working hard every day for Canada

I am a retired Family Physician most of the women who sought an abortion ( I did not perform Abortions at my clinic but referred my patients appropriately after discussions about options) the patients often in their 20′s stated their boyfriend insisted on the abortion so much for “women’s right to choose”
    This was found true in my clinic perhaps other physicians could comment