Stockholm Syndrome at Ground Zero

Woody Allen preaches the gospel of appeasement:

“If I was speaking to the people who are protesting legitimately, I would try to convince them, if I could, that building the mosque takes a step toward eliminating this kind of thing from happening again,” Allen said.

From Wiki:

…Hostages who develop Stockholm syndrome often view the perpetrator as giving life by simply not taking it. In this sense, the captor becomes the person in control of the captive’s basic needs for survival and the victim’s life itself..

*   *   *   *

Related

NY Mosque: Political Fallout For Obama Could Be A DisasterU.$. Money Talk

New Poll Shows Obama Ratings Down As Mosque Controversy Lingers
Talk Media News

Fear – Bruce Bawer (H/T The way the Ball bounces):

…it’s not about “freedom and religious tolerance.” It’s about fear. Nine years after jihadists murdered 2,977 people on American soil, the sight of American leaders quaking in their boots at the thought of some clown’s offending the Muslim world is nothing less than obscene.

This entry was posted in Appeasement never works, Barack Obama, Political correctness, U.S. Media, U.S. politics, Victims rights?. Bookmark the permalink.

123 Responses to Stockholm Syndrome at Ground Zero

Oh, oh … looks like I may high-jack your new post with three bits of information I found on Ricken Patel.

What to do, what to do?

2. The Grey Lady says:

we already knew Woody was a Wack job when he started stooping Mia’s adopted daughter who grew up calling Woody daddy.

Everyone of these whack-jobs are preaching tolerance, forgiveness, let’s move on and this will heal a nation, blah,blah,blah but NONE OF THEM were victims or their family members.

As far as I’m concerned, their needs are #1 and that makes this case closed.

Plenty of developers were prepared to do a number of things at and around GZ but the families rose up in protest and those initiatives ceased. Many of them were ABOUT the victims and they still ceased.

And yet we have this occurring and not an ounce of respect has taken place, if fact the opposite, intense push back and politicking.

I just can’t believe the Woody’s and Moore’s of this country are patriotic Americans.
    How can you help but notice as well, they are all starting to smell like celebrities.

OK, Joanne. Some bits of information on Ricken Patel I found thanks to googling. I’ll post them separately. Maybe these bits of information have no particular meaning, but I found them interesting.

Ricken Patel’s sister Jini Patel Thompson writes a blog http://www.ziggazag.com/journey/lifes-a-trip-other-business-lessons/ and in addition to her blog she’s written articles and a book called Listen To Your Gut.

From what I gathered skimming through her blog, Ms. Patel Thompson apparently does not believe in vaccinating children against childhood diseases. She also believes cancer is a fungal disease curable by baking soda.

Maybe it’s unfair of me to form an opinion about Ricken Patel based on his sister’s dubious opinions on medical matters — some might go so far as to call it a form of hucksterism or quackery — but, well, she does advise her followers to “Listen to your gut.” And my gut is telling me both brother & sister are simply out to make a few bucks. I hope my gut is not sick.

Gabby – And folks have the right to choose whether or not to listen to Ms. Patel Thompson – a right of freedom of opinion and information that her brother would apparently like to take away from Canadians wanting a new TV station.

A second bit of information on Ricken Patel …

There’s the question of how secure the Avaaz petition site is, a point Evan Solomon raised during yesterday’s interview on Power & Politics.

Again, thanks to Google, I found this other bit of information:
    14 JUN/07
    “Don’t sign Avaaz.org petitions
    Not if you value your email address, that is. I’ve signed quite a few of them on prompting from Sista, but recently I’ve started received spam on the unique email address I set up to subscribe. I reported it to Avaaz and received an assurance that they don’t sell or share their list, but that they’ve received reports and are investigating. I asked them to follow up, they didn’t. Obviously their security has been breached.
    dahamsta is Adam Beecher, an Internet consultant based in Cork, Ireland. He owns and operates a hosting and development company called Beecher Networks, based in the CIX data centre in Cork city.”

A heated discussion takes place under that blog post by “dahamsta” among others who’ve also been spammed, with Ricken Patel himself participating in the discussion.

Notice, though, that the blog post dates back to 2007. Hopefully, whatever was wrong with the Avaaz site was fixed.

OT: Ezra is a guest on Lowell Green, CFRA Ottawa coming up shortly.

Finally, there’s this other little bit of interesting info involving once again Ricken Patel:

« Lobbyists Forge Anti-Climate Letters to Congress
    Friday, July 31, 2009
    In Response to Forged ‘Grassroots’ Anti-Climate Letters, Naked Activists at Lobbyists’ Office Say Fossil Fuel Lobby Has No Clothes
    WASHINGTON, D.C.—Responding to breaking news that lobbyists forged letters from constituent groups in order to sway votes against the Waxman-Markey energy and climate bill, activists protested outside the offices of Bonner & Associates, the firm reportedly behind the hoax, wearing jackets, ties, and no pants while holding signs reading “The Fossil Fuel Lobby: Naked Fraud” and “Coal and Oil: Stealing Our Future.”
    “Apparently, the fossil fuel industry’s tactics are as fraudulent as their arguments against climate action,” said Ricken Patel, Executive Director of Avaaz.org. “I guess they couldn’t find real people opposed to green-energy jobs.” … »

I don’t know how much publicity those “forged grassroots anti-climate letters” garnered for Avaaz because I don’t follow US politics, but I find it funny that once again there’s an allegation of fraud involved, like in the signing of the Avaaz petition. The allegation of fraud was apparently not proved, according to that article I linked to above:

“This morning, the Charlottesville Daily Progress reported that an employee of Bonner & Associates had forged letters opposing the energy bill and faxed them to Rep. Tom Perriello (D-Va) on the purported letterhead of two Charlottesville-area grassroots groups, the NAACP and Cresciendo Juntos. In reality, neither group opposed the legislation. Bonner & Associates reportedly apologized and claimed to have fired the employee responsible, but the full extent of the fraud is unknown.”

Sorry…more O/T

Ezra Levant to guest on Lowell Green Show now at

9. Sammy says:

O/T..another dipper has jumped ship,and will vote against her constituents wishes.Carole Hughes fr.N.Ont will now vote to keep it.Vote now tied.

See, for many years prior to my participation in blogs, I always felt that there was too much manipulation of the news, depending on a reporter’s POV.

Nowadays, in addition to the kind of manipulation by which some reporters used to introduce or push a particular POV rather than stick to the facts, there’s the kind of manipulation that can take place thanks to the internet. And misguided activism on both sides of the political spectrum can cloud issues rather than shed light on them.

I came across a glaring example of what I consider such “misguided activism” on the part of a well-known media person, but I’m still debating whether I want to resurrect it or let sleeping dogs lie.

Gabby please resurrect it, Canadians need to know that facts. Our national Press Gallery pick and choose what to resurrect and bloggers should resist this practise.

Why not resurrect it Gabby? The media uses that tactic all the time, resurrecting anything they think they can use to feed their anti-Conservative agenda. Some of those dogs have been sleeping for decades.

Hmm. Seems like we are all similarly O/T here today. My latest post is based on what I was reading at BLY yesterday but there were so many interesting comments to pick from, I couldn’t decide. So, I just put a general BLY link.

Gabby, if you get any interesting links about Patel that are not directed to his own sites, let me know at TRE.

Thanks.

God Bless Canada.

>>> “The progressives/statists are in full denial.”

Canada’s progressives/statists include:

The Separatist Coalition of LibZiffy/Rae, Taliban JackNDP, and commie Duceppe Bloc; socialist McGuinty/Smitherman; MSM; academia, et al.

“191. Guderian

The progressives/statists are in full denial. The establishment GOP are whistling past the grave yard. We have entered a 4th turning in history. Much like what walt commented happened in antebellum America. This is the beginning of a titanic shift in the country. Don’t expect the political elites to go gently into the night,
    though. It is entertaining to watch their bewilderment.

Good post as usual Richard

God Bless the USA”

Tim Powers on Rutherford right now.

Gabby, for you to say “let sleeping dogs lie” sounds worrisome to you; why is that.

Sandy at 11:09 am, none of the three links I provided with my “bits of interesting information” are Avaaz links or re-direct to Patel’s site — if there is one — unless the reader clicks on such links.

However, I stand to be corrected on that, if somehow one is re-directed from the links I referenced above. As I’ve often stated, I’m not tech-savvy enough to know how it would be done. All I know is that whatever information I’ve come across I’ve found by my actively clicking on a link.

OT, but I just tried to click on Halls of Macedania and get a message, ATTACK page, -get me out of here.
    Any one else have a problem, and what does it mean.

And now about the media personality’s past.

I hesitate to do this because I hate it when it’s done to others — the many quotes out of context that are dug up about the PM for instance, or the Tom Lukiwski/Brad Wall affair, or even recently the way Helena Guergis’ supposed past boyfriends, her morgage, or her academic credentials were dug up for God knows what reason by the media hounds.

Anyway, I don’t remember why I started searching for info on the media personality, and I can’t retrace my steps because I clean out my computer’s “history” on a regular basis. Regardless … here’s what I found.

Apparently the media personality posted the photographs of professionals’ homes and vehicle license plates on the Internet, her intention being to discourage those people from working for Scientology.
    Now, is it the fact that she was involved in “investigating” Scientology advocates? No.
    I never knew Scientology even existed before there was a bit of a controversy between Tom Cruise and Brooks Shields a few years ago.

What DOES bother me — if the allegations made on that website I visited are true — is that a media personality would post the license plates and addresses of people, exposing them to who knows what.

See, I think the internet is a great tool but it can be used for very questionable purposes, which I believe that media personality did. I’m still struggling with whether I should reveal the media personality’s identity.

Gabby, I got all that same info from google a few days ago.
    Was shocked to see they have a petition to save the CBC.

Jen at 11:19 am, what I meant by using the expression “let sleeping dogs lie” — “lie” as in sleeping, not as in fibbing — is to forget about the information I came across.

22. frmgrl says:

Any one else have a problem, and what does it mean.

MaryT, I just clicked on and did not have that problem. I don’t know what ATTACK page means. My son encountered the page when he went to click on a Christian site a few days ago.

MaryT – I got the same message when trying to access BLY from various places because I couldn’t get here for the past half-hour. Same warning…then nothing.

MaryT at 11:57 am, what information are you referring to?
    The 3 bits with links about Ricken Patel or the stuff about the media personality?

If you had already provided the same information that I posted here today, I’m sorry I missed it. I always try to read other commenters’ posts, but I may have missed it, as I said. I generally don’t try to steal anyone’s thunder, so I hope you don’t think that’s my intention.

25. ladee_J says:

“Mary T ..OT, but I just tried to click on Halls of Maced and get a message, ATTACK page,”

just got the same message!

I was referring to the Patel info. I never posted it, just recommended one google, Avaaz.org

There is a lot of info on that google site.
    I wonder how much his petition to save the CBC has to do with their support of him and his organization.
    The hateful media is coming out in full force and anyone that can’t see it are the ones that can’t read, not Sun readers.

I hope someone who can get on Halls will report the problems we are having to see if he can figure out the problem.

Agree … Rutherford is on fire. We need more strong and true Canadians to hold Avaaz.org to account. Bravo Dave Rutherford. Shame on the National Press in Ottawa for working with Avaaz.org to censor free speech.

“Rutherford is on fire!”

He is MAD, Joanne and I’ve been expecting this for days. It was bound to happen!

Good Morning all! Big Sigh…. Woody Allen pimping for those peace loving Moeslems? Next thing he will be up for Dad of the year. I think his moral compass needs adjusting. I really don’t care what he thinks.

Obviously commemorating a cowardly sneak attack that took thousands of innocent lives is not “Murder, Murder” but just the frustration of our not being inclusive enough, if only we would surrender.

The image of our leaders going public with the antics of a third rate preacher with a following that would fit in a single yellow school bus with room left over for the average crowd at a Iffy tour stop.

I find the “victory Mosque” extreme provocation.
    I don’t find the antics of a Florida Preacher as being worth discussion, if he is offending someone, giving it more air time is just giving it way more publicity than it ever deserved.

What really offends me is terrorists flying airplanes full of people into buildings also full of people, that is offensive by any civilized measure.

The offended, misunderstood, wanna be Mosque builders
    haven’t been offering up any apologies, reparations, that I have ever heard about.

It is just a book. Paper and ink.

A friend of mine just passed through on his way home to Auz, he said working in down town London, England he was startled to hear the call to prayer 5 times a day. He said it was intrusive and loud. I suggested a solution would be for them all to wear watches, but of course that is not the point, is it.

It seems to be all about them, their sacred beliefs, book. I don’t want to hear that “sweetest sound” over ground zero.

Of course this makes me in certain circles a bigot, racist. I no longer care what the Quislings think.

31. jad says:

Roger Smith on CTV this morning trying to drum up sympathy for the “poor NDP MPs who risk being targeted by the meatgrinder of the Conservative machine”. Candace Hoeppner has apparently even been going into NDP ridings (shock! horror!), and then there are the billboards (gasp!) and the radio ads (shame! shame!).

If the NDP and Liberal MPs don’t like being “targeted”, why don’t they put up billboards, run radio ads, hold townhalls, etc. to express their point of view ? Oh right, they don’t have any money to do that. They have to rely on 3rd party support.

Perhaps if they listened to their constituents more closely, they might be in better financial shape

Gabby @ 11:55am, perhaps revealing the media personality’s identity would be considered a public service.

33. frmgrl says:

Bec & Fay, I think that was the best Rutherford segment ever!

He WAS good wasn’t he. I hope he gets a show on Sun TV too.

34. cantuc says:

So , whats up with Woody Allen ? He’s a has been 3 times over . Did he need an ego boost ? or did he see a 12 year old muslim girl he found attractive ? Or does he think if he tries to suck up to the nice terrorist people they’ll kill him last?

“He WAS good wasn’t he.”

I think he may be a frequent traveller through this and other BT sites. I’ve heard pov’s that were very similar to comments here.
    Adler too!

Adler too!

Or at the very least, great minds think alike. ;)

We cannot let this Leftist band from the US dictate to us just because they get signatures from those of like mind from Canadians like Attwood. We either have free speech or we do not.

Preventing Sun TV News from going to air because they don’t agree with their Leftist doctrine or just want to put out another perspective, tell the truth, the true facts unspun and tinkered with to manipulate opinion.

This is a very scarey development and needs to be dealt with through legal means. That sort of interference borders on slander, making false accusations, spreading lies about an entity not even up and running.

Someone should take up a petition to revoke Attwood’s Order of Canada, wonder how she’d like that? Frankly, if we have freedom of speech within the law, it’s none of Attwood’s business let alone this dude’s called Patel.

Quote of the day! A little wisdom from a “Mamma Grizzly”

“Lamestream Media, Listen / Learn / Don’t underestimate the Power of the People.
    Times they are A’changin”

Sarah Pailin

For Sandy … more Ricken Patel references:

A rambling talk on Avaaz tactics, activism, NGOs, and “fundirocracy” — funders of causes — given by Ricken Patel here:
    Raising money, theory of change, “crisitunity” – the melding of crisis & opportunity.
    There are 15-16 managerial staff of which Patel is one, the rest of the work is done by volunteers.
    Avaaz is modelled after moveon.org (US) and getup.org (Aus)

Avaaz trying to influence 2008 election:
    Artists Unite to defeat Harper and fight climate change – New song features Canadian musicians to raise hope and awareness
    OTTAWA, Oct. 3 /CNW Telbec/ – Canadian artists have joined together to record a song, titled “You Have a Choice,” to mobilize Canadian voters to let their voices be heard in support of strong, concrete action on climate change.
    The song is sponsored by Avaaz.ca, a new web movement with over 300,000 supporters across Canada.
    “Elizabeth May said it best in the debates, the Harper climate change plan is a fraud,” said Avaaz Executive Director Ricken Patel. “Under the Conservative government our country is actively wrecking international progress on climate change. This song is an eloquent reminder that Canada doesn’t have to be this way – it’s our choice. …”

A flattering portrayal of the activist here:
    Natural Heroes: Activist Ricken Patel
    by Tom Citrano
    “I wanted to close the gap between the world we have and the world most people want,” explains Patel, who notes that Avaaz means ‘voice’ in many Asian, Middle Eastern and East European languages. …”

Leftist Woody channels reincarnation.

Who was Woody?

(Link is woodpeckerproof)

“Woody Allen on Faith, Fortune Tellers and New York”

“A. I was interested in the concept of faith in something. This sounds so bleak when I say it, but we need some delusions to keep us going. And the people who successfully delude themselves seem happier than the people who can’t. I’ve known people who have put their faith in religion and in fortune tellers. So it occurred to me that that was a good character for a movie: a woman who everything had failed for her, and all of a sudden, it turned out that a woman telling her fortune was helping her. The problem is, eventually, she’s in for a rude awakening.”

Thanks for all your googling Gabby. By the way, for those who don’t have time to read my post today, what I am going to do is keep track of the “consulation process at the CRTC.” As soon as the SunTV application is up, I will put a post on my blog and here. I would encourage everyone to write the CRTC at that point — to complain about the lack of balance in the Canadian media and how SunTV, like the newspapers in the same consortium, will provide the balance. Allow the centre and right wing in this country to be heard. That SunTV is about providing free speech in this country, not the media cronyism the progressive left is suggesting.

If people want me to, I’ll even put a possible letter template which anyone can revise as they see fit. But, if I don’t hear anything, I will assume that is not necessary. I remember doing that for a letter for the GG when the coalition nearly took down the Harper gov’t.

Stay tuned.

Lord have mercy, Lizzie May was on CFRA with Michael Harris and guess what, she hasn’t changed a bit since last I heard her.

She’s of the opinion all 308 MP’s should do the governing, not just the PM and his party.
    She also got in her usual digs on PM Harper.

Lizzy May thinks there will be a November election, wishful thinking? Is Lizzy having sleepless nights ove her prospects of winning that seat currently occupied by Gary Lunn?

Regarding the media personality I alluded to in previous comments …

“Kady O’Malley is a Canadian anti-religious extremist who has been part of a dedicated hate campaign against the Church of Scientology for many years. … In March 1999, Kady O’Malley entered the United States with the purpose of harassing professionals working for the Church of Scientology. … O’Malley photographed these professional’s homes and vehicle license plates and posted them on the Internet, …
    This purposeful harassment and abuse of privacy was documented in a letter of complaint to O’Malley’s employer, the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service, and the Internet Service Provider (ISP) concerned …”

I must stress I don’t know if the allegations made at that website, among others, are true or not. That is why I’ve been hesitant to post that link.

I must also stress I have no connections whatsoever to Scientology, so I’m not trying to make or advance their case. What bothers me is what I consider unethical tactics used by people to discredit those they disagree with. Posting people’s license plates to the internet falls under that category, IMO.

Furthermore, if an organization like Avaaz, regardless of its legitimacy or not, and its right to freedom of expression, can make this kind of allegation without any proof other than what a columnist writes:
    [From the Avaaz petition]
    “Canada: Stop “Fox News North”
    Prime Minister Harper is trying to push American-style hate media onto our airwaves, and make us all pay for it. His plan is to create a “Fox News North” to mimic the kind of hate-filled propaganda with which Fox News has poisoned U.S. politics. …
    And now, news reports suggest that Harper may be trying to pressure the CRTC. …”
    then I suppose it’s fair game to recall Ms. O’Malley’s past alleged antics.

Please note that the main thrust of the Avaaz petition is based upon the speculations of a columnist, Lawrence Martin, about the CRTC chairman’s future. The CRTC chairman himself wrote a letter to the Globe & Mail denying the rumours of his imminent departure from the CRTC, but his letter was relegated to the “letters to the editor” pile rather than featured as prominently as the Martin column.

43. Rich says:

I received this Cartoon in my email from a friend: and at this time seems quite appropiate for current times.

“Leave it to Maxine to come up with a solution
    For the economic mess that America is now in, and Canada the UK, and Australia………

I bought a bird feeder. I hung
    It on my back porch and filled
    It with seed. What a beauty of
    A bird feeder it was, as I filled it
    lovingly with seed. Within a
    Week we had hundreds of birds
    Taking advantage of the
    Continuous flow of free and
    Easily accessible food.

But then the birds started
    Building nests in the boards
    Of the patio, above the table,
    And next to the barbecue.

Then came the poop. It was
    Everywhere: on the patio tile,
    The chairs, the table ..
    Everywhere!

Then some of the birds
    Turned mean. They would
    Dive bomb me and try to
    Peck me even though I had
    Fed them out of my own
    Pocket.

And other birds were
    Boisterous and loud. They
    Sat on the feeder and
    Squawked and screamed at
    All hours of the day and night
    And demanded that I fill it
    When it got low on food.

After a while, I couldn’t even
    Sit on my own back porch
    Anymore. So I took down the
    Bird feeder and in three days
    The birds were gone. I cleaned
    Up their mess and took down
    The many nests they had built
    All over the patio.

Soon, the back yard was like
    It used to be …. Quiet, serene….
    And no one demanding their
    Rights to a free meal.

Now let’s see.
    Our government gives out
    Free food, subsidized housing,
    Free medical care and free
    Education, and allows anyone
    Born here to be an automatic
    Citizen.

Then the illegals came by the
    Tens of thousands. Suddenly
    Our taxes went up to pay for
    Free services; small apartments
    Are housing 5 families; you
    Have to wait 6 hours to be seen
    By an emergency room doctor;
    Your child’s second grade class is
    Behind other schools because
    Over half the class doesn’t speak
    English.

Corn Flakes now come in a
    Bilingual box; I have to
    ‘press one ‘ to hear my bank
    Talk to me in English, and
    People waving flags other
    Than ‘The Maple Leaf’ are
    Squawking and screaming
    In the streets, demanding
    More rights and free liberties.

Just my opinion, but maybe
    it’s time for the government
    To take down the bird feeder.”

If you agree, pass it on; if not,
    Just continue cleaning up the poop .

BTW, the current controversy regarding Avaaz is not the first time Kady O’Malley figured in an Avaaz-related story. This is what Ms. O’Malley wrote back in 2008:
    Avaaz.ca vs. Baird: The Shadowy Foreign Organization strikes back!
    by Kady O’Malley on Monday, October 6, 2008 5:26 pm – 22 Comments

“Hey, remember that weird press release John Baird’s campaign put out earlier today in response? The one that claimed a “Wall Street Billionaire” was bankrolling an anti-Harper campaign, possibly in violation of the Canada Elections Act?”

Ms. O’Malley then quotes Patel:
    « … “This is exactly the kind of deceptive and intimidating tactics that the Harper government in general and John Baird in particular have tried to use to silence environmental advocates who tell the Canadian public the truth about the Harper record. They’re also hoping to distract people from our urgent message to Canadians to stop a Harper government from devastating the climate.”

“Baird’s press release cleverly used the words ‘apparently’ and ‘supposedly’ when leveling accusations against us, which might be chosen to avoid the possibility of libel suit on this” added Patel. »

45. jad says:

And Don Newman finds a comfy warm spot ….

Bluesky Strategy Group is of course well-known as the company fronted by Susan Smith, permanent guest on the afternoon political shows to talk up the Liberals and trash the CPC.

Thankyou Gabby. After watching her in action first at MacLean’s and now with full protection at the CBC, I am not surprised.
    What a laugh she must of had when we were thinking she actually cared about a fair vote count for Liberal MP Dosangh after the last election.

Fay at 2:20 pm, what is also disturbing is that some of the very people who stir up the pot in hopes of making it boil over then wring their hands when it does.

Some journalists and politicians (of all stripes) at times wring their hands bemoaning the lack of civil discourse, yet they often use overblown rhetoric, smart-alecky gotcha tactics, and what I consider downright unethical means to achieve their goals. Maybe they could provide a better template for people to emulate?

Are we in trouble or what? Who could have even imagined those who are opposed to another view of things having a voice in this country would sign a petition set up by a US citizen to stop Sun TV News?

PM Harper has nothing to do with this venture and he’s being accused of interference with the CRTC? He needs to go after them pronto.

Thanks for all the info Gabby. Mentioning the name “Susan Smith”makes this rainy day even more depressing, she’s permanently afflicted with verbal diarrhea.

If that is the same KD (does my opinion really matter?) I wonder how the potentially, ‘same KD’ likes having her business and space invaded.

That ‘KD’ did some pretty nasty things. Identity theft is always a possibility but boy o boy I’ve never heard of stealing a personality too.
    You never know though do you. (throat cleared)

That could explain how/why she broke the Avaaz petition story. And could be why she is quoted as the “expert on it”
    But that info does explain some of her hate. Wonder if she attends Trovolta movies.

The kind of hatred that would move up to that kind of stalking and harassment is terrifying.

This information has done a ton of explaining the mindset.

Mary T, very interesting thought and your last line has me still laughing…ZING!

How often is Ian Capstick introduced on political shows as a former press secretary for the NDP

Kady O’Malley and I have worked together for a very long time. As the former press secretary to the New Democrats I spent a lot of time making sure Kady and the other members of Canada’s National Press Gallery were up to speed on all things New Democrat.

How is Ian Capstick introduced on political shows. Not like someone who worked for the PM in the last century.

oops sorry

It appears that CBC is working to destroy jobs in the media. Kory is the first one unemployed . Who will CBC target next? I say a big Thankyou to all those true Canadians on Blogging Tories who are shining a big bright light on the facts.

Joanne at 2:50 pm, look at the picture that appears on the freedomwatch website I linked to. If you look closely, despite the red hair, that is our Kady … unless, of course, that site is involved in some unethical practices of their own, ‘fauxto’shopping her picture.

Also, at that same website, it states “… Ms. O’Malley represents herself as a writer for your newspaper …”

I just wish all the dirty tricks — whichever side is guilty of them — would stop, that’s all. And I also hope that I haven’t made the same mistake I’ve occasionally cautioned others against — be careful which source you use to make a point.

57. batb says:

Late to this thread, Joanne, because every time I tried to open Blue Like You last night and this morning, it just wouldn’t open. The Loading icon just kept spinning around. Hmmmm.

Woody Allen is a ghoul. He lives in a hermetically sealed bubble. Just watch the documentary “Wild Man Blues,” where his every whim is catered to by Soon-Yi Previn and his sister Letty (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0141986/). (His parents, however, are a hoot.)

Here’s what I wrote about him over at Dr. Roy’s Thoughts after Dr. R’s review of Allen’s latest film “You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger” at TIFF. Roy Eappen’s verdict? “Woody it’s time to retire from the movie making business.”

My take on Woody Allen, whom I used to really enjoy way back when?

He needs to have a spiritual conversion experience, where redemption plays a big role. He’s stale, everything he does is pretty much a retread of something else he did, or completely whacko …

The guy doesn’t seem to have a compass anymore, moral or otherwise, and increasingly, his monologues are just whine fests, not funny at all.

He’s definitely past his sell-by date. …

My advice to Woody on his political views? SHUT. UP. THANK. YOU.

Yeah there seems to have been some issues. I noticed that it was really slow even from this end. Could have been the server.

Depends between friends.

The headline: “Backing Smitherman was mistake for Ontario Tories”.

The Red Tories outed themselves.

TEA Party, anyone?

“Sincerely,

Isabel Bassett
    Former Minister of Citizenship, Culture & Recreation Stefan Baranski
    Aubrey Browne Libby Burnham, C.M.
    Lanny Cardow Agnes DiLeonardi
    Judy Mintz Sarah Mintz
    Marilyn Mirabelli Kevin Moore
    Dan Newman
    Former Minister of the Environment Thomas O’Shaughnessy
    Senator Nancy Ruth John Sedgwick
    Justin VanDette
    Regional Vice President (Toronto)
    Ontario PC Party Jaime Watt
    Tanny Wells Vivien White”

“Marni Soupcoff: Backing Smitherman was mistake for Ontario Tories

“But the decision by 38 Ontario conservatives — including three former provincial Toy Cabinet ministers, two senators and a regional vice president of the Ontario P.C. Party — to publicly and enthusiastically endorse George Smitherman could actually have an effect.

Not on who becomes mayor of Toronto, mind you. Torontonians are too smart to ascribe any particular importance to the opinions of forgettable Queens Park has-beens and party apparatchiks.

However, the conservative endorsement letter — which de-emphasizes Smitherman’s complicity in the eHealth debacle and calls the career Liberal mayoral candidate “fair” and “thoughtful” — is not going to endear Tim Hudak’s up-and-coming Tories to Ontario’s fed-up conservative voters. They’ve had it with Dalton McGuinty, and they’re finally rid of the not-so-conservative dithering John Tory. All they want is a real, reasonable conservative leader such as Hudak to get behind. But now they’re going to be wondering what Mr. Hudak’s party actually stands for if its idea of an ideal candidate for office is George Smitherman.

None of this is Tim Hudak’s fault. He didn’t sign the endorsement, and he can’t control what the 38 people who did choose to sign it do with their lives. But it’ll now be hard not to associate the Ontario P.C. Party as a whole with the nauseating Smitherman boosting — and the reminder that all the shouting and outrage that gets displayed at Queens Park is actually meaningless posturing. Why else would the Tory Smitherman fans say in their letter: “Thankfully in municipal politics, party lines don’t get in the way of supporting the best candidate for the job.”

The clear implication is that in other levels of politics, party lines do get in the way of supporting the best candidate for the job. And that over the years, these Tories have cynically opposed and criticized politicians whom they actually thought would have been great — but who happened to belong to the wrong party. And all that Tory grilling of George Smitherman while he was a provincial Cabinet minister? Just part of the act.

Doesn’t exactly inspire confidence in the Ontario P.C.s.”

*Depends:
    “diapers coverage by Torontoist ****
    Ontario Health Minister George Smitherman has caused a furor with his diaper to see if being left in soiled diapers for hours on end isreally all that bad.”

“Ontario Tories” endorse Depends Liberal/socialist ex-McGuinty commissar Smitherman?

No big deal; no deal at all.

“In the past, such an endorsement would have been final. But perhaps now it is pointless. The Tea Party candidates are as disposable as al-Qaeda commanders.”

“Pets Versus Swarms”

“When the New York Times pleaded with the public,in an editorial to reject the “wacky” Tea Party candidates, it must have been before they heard from Harry Reid. The Senate Majority Leader asked voters to cast their ballot for his “pet”, Chris Coons.

Alternatively, the NYT may have a different definition of “wacky”. Coons is running against Palin-endorsed Christine O’Donnell for US Senator in Delaware. Reid said of his preferred candidate:

“I’m going to be very honest with you — Chris Coons, everybody knows him in the Democratic caucus. He’s my pet. He’s my favorite candidate,” Reid said.

“Let me tell you about him: A graduate of Yale Divinity School. Yale Law School. A two-time national debate champion. He represents two-thirds of the state now, in an elected capacity. I don’t know if you’ve ever seen him or heard him speak, but he is a dynamic speaker. I don’t mean loud or long; he’s a communicator. So that’s how I feel about Delaware. I’ve always thought Chris Coons is going to win. I told him that and I tried to get him to run. I’m glad he’s running. I just think the world of him. He’s my pet.”

Reid’s supposed gravitas is in contrast to the “toxic” Tea Party candidates, who are the new barbarians at the gates. “Defeating this new crop of Tea Party nominees has become imperative to avoid the sense of national embarrassment from each divisive and offensive utterance, each wacky policy proposal.” The NYT wrote in scarcely concealed disgust that:” (more)

Joanne at 3:59 pm:
    “Well we have to remember to take things we read online with a grain of salt – especially if it’s a one-off story without other sources of verification.”

You’re absolutely right — a whole lot of Windsor (I don’t own shares!).
    I hope Avaaz takes your advice the next time they suggest the PM of Canada can bribe the CRTC chairman, bribe a fledgling TV channel to be the “crony” of the PM’s party and spout the party line, all by being in cahoots with a foreign media magnate.

Well, I think it’s time for me to put this to rest.

You’re absolutely right — a whole lot of Windsor (I don’t own shares!).

lol! Gabby you always make me laugh!

Yes, it sure would be nice to see the other side reciprocate once in a while. CBC is the worst.

But the link you cited is very interesting and does provide some background. Thanks for that.

Checked out that site Gabby. Definitely a picture of “miss smarty pants” in red hair. It appears there is nothing accidental with her motives, it is all an act to decieve. Scary!

That should be deceive. Too quick with the submit button.

63. frmgrl says:

I concur. Remember her little egging on of the anti-prorogation rallies and outrage? (just paraphrasing) Remember how she said she could whip a flash mob protest rally in short order? This is all starting to make sense.

MaryT – I just got that ATTACK message again, this time while trying to access the SunTV webpage and other media links. (I sent a heads-up to the media friendlies I deal with and they replied that they’ve had many complaints about this same message. They couldn’t explain it and it continues)

It reads “This page (email address here) has been reported as an attack page and have been blocked based on your security preferences. Attack pages try to install programs that steal private info., use your computer to attack others or damage your system. Some attack pages intentionally distribute harmful software but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.”

Stephen Taylor hits another one out of the park with this beauty – I love it!

I don’t know how you do it. I tune in to watch Power Play and have to turn it off because Jane Taber has the worst speaking voice for a TV journalist that I’ve ever heard. She’s shrill. I give you all kinds of credit for exposing yourselves to that every day.

If I ever get sick enough to page Carolyn Bennett……

Joanne at 5:05 pm: ” … you always make me laugh!”
    Glad to hear I serve a useful purpose! ;-)

I’m afraid this next part won’t be humorous, though.
    I know I said in my previous comment I’d put this topic (my part of it) to rest … but in the first segment of Power & Politics, Evan was interviewing Helena Guergis, who despite the fact she thinks the PM should clear her name and her standing in the Conservative Party, she was very gracious in not launching accusations at the PM or the Conservative Party.

BUT what did Evan do? Tried to get her to BLAME the PM for her sorry situation, and even for trying to sully her family’s name in her riding. I guess Evan forgot about all the laughs he & his Press Gallery cronies had, together with assorted strategists, at Ms. Guergis’ expense.

I would have liked Ms. Guergis to interrupt HIM, asking: “What’s YOUR take on who was responsible: the anonymous letter writer who accused me of things I didn’t do, the media who went on a witch hunt about my past and present, and Liberal jackals like Wayne Easter and Anita Neville who daily asked for my resignation, and once it was given, they wondered WHY I resigned.”

Don’t be shy Evan, is it one of the above? Or maybe all of the above?

Gabby @ 5:49 pm – Excellent points. The media and opposition parties were on a witch-hunt until she was turfed out of the party. Now it’s boo-hoo, poor Helena.

The hypocrisy is disgusting.

[For some reason Gabby's comment was in the filter - I think the gremlins are out today.]

No kudos to that Delacourt dame for a statement about the PM and the Artic, “they’re going to have to do more than photo ops and dancing up there”. The hatred just oozes out, she can’t help herself. What did her Liberals do “up there”?

FROM THE NATIONAL POST

Ottawa plans three new measures to bolster economy

Paul Vieira, Financial Post · Thursday, Sept. 16, 2010

‘Meanwhile, NDP Leader Jack Layton said his party would be pushing for additional government spending when the House of Commons returns on Monday. He said the NDP agrees with U.S. President Barack Obama, as opposed to Prime Minister Stephen Harper, in terms of what the economy requires.

Mr. Layton charged the Conservatives’ economic plan was following “some rigid ideology,” as opposed to dealing with the reality of relatively high unemployment.’

Read more:

Little Miss smarty pants on Evan’s Power Panel today. Elevated status now!

Anyone else think it’s a big mistake not allowing Helena Guergis back into the fold?

Stop spending, Mr. Baird.

Enough is too much.

It’s our taxes you’re spending.

Cut our taxes.

Stimulus is a 4-letter word.

Say No! to Minister Baird.

No more spending.

“Stimulus spending could be extended, John Baird says
    Globe and Mail”
    (google)

I think that Baird is referring to spend the rest of the allotted money to finish projects. Not a new stimulus program. Or extend the deadline to finish said projects.
    Can’t wait for him and David M to square off.

Actually we should start a campaign to support the return of Helena.
    To spur us on we need only to recall the behaviour of the likes of Wayne Easter and “Cruella” Neville and others,standing in the HOC going after her every day, her supposed outburst in PEI was blown out of all proportion. The fact the media are now seeking her out is barf inducing and tells us it’s not about her, it’s what she can offer to help their anti-Harper agenda. She’s being used but can’t blame her since she has to run as an Independent at this point.

As a woman I don’t feel she should be punished for her husband’s activities.

Why is Rodriquez still sitting in his seat while he fights a DUI charge? That’s of more concern than worrying about Jaffer who is not a sitting MP.

Actually we should start a campaign to support the return of Helena.

I’m on the fence about that one, although my opinion of her has improved considerably after watching the interview with Evan Solomon on P & P today.

76. batb says:

My spidy sense really tingles when I see photos of Kady O’Malley or Ricken Patel or hear their names.

You have a lot more luck — of just know how to do it! — when Googling, Gabby. I was trying to check out Ricken Patel yesterday and didn’t find out very much. But this guy gives me the creeps. He’s on the make, he’s pulling in a whole lot of do-re-mi, and he seems to be a liar: He says that “[Avaaz] is as much Canadian as it is American.”

What a pile of garbage. Does George Soros ring a bell, Mr. Patel? Ironically, when Evan Soloman caught up with him the other day, Patel was in NOO YAWK. Avaaz is a global (my spidy sense tingles when I hear that word, too) conglomerate that seems to have its tentacles all over the world, trying to destabilize and derail c/Conservative aspirations — or any other aspirations with which it disagrees.

Ricken Patel appears to be a Soros patsy who seems in no way to be interested in Canadians’ Charter rights. His and Avaaz’s agenda is to stifle speech and expression that doesn’t come from the liberal left. Ironically, or diabolically (?), Avaaz means “voice” in Persian: “Voice for me but not for thee.” Oh, really? Tyranny and totalitarianism come to mind.

As for Kady: I never trust women who change their hair colour as often as they change their favourite bar. She oozes insincerity and glibness, and you’ve gotta wonder what she’s really all about, except that it’s clear she’s no conservative. She’s a Zeitgeist Cutie, to be avoided at all costs. Her gig at the CBC is predictable and her lightweight musings, risible, but, what else would you expect?

The only good thing about this whole nasty fiasco, is that Ricken Patel is now in the spotlight. Let’s keep an eye on him.

batb, google Avaaz.org, and see what come up. If you hit the right story you will get one of them that goes directly to NDP ON LINE. Patel wrote quit a letter to the ndp.
    You will also see the petition to save the cbc, where they bash the govt for not lending them money to meet obligations, resulting in 500 layoff. And there are several re global warming and other crap.
    Plus a warning not to sign their petitions as you will get e-mails and request for money and to sign some other petition.

Still getting Attack page,with the message mentioned above. I wonder how many of us that are getting that page commented on his post re the petition. He must know of the problem, I hope someone told him. If he would post a comment here it would be great.

Rich @ 2:09 good analogy!

batb @ 8:01 pm

I’m glad that you are Teacher, it gives me hope. Thank you for a brilliant statement. Brilliant!

Other than forgetting an ‘a’ in my last post I am indeed interested in the computer gliches/issues/messages, folks have been referring to today.

They are describing to some degree what I was dealing with last month, Joanne.

I have been getting in and out, clean as a whistle but I needed a techie guy to come in and investigate.
    I CAN’T SURVIVE without my BLY.:)

Lights & electricity finally back on since about 6:15 pm.
    ——-
    CanadianSense at 8:34 pm, thanks for that link. I’ll have a closer look at it later on.
    ——–
    Hey, if the new Liberal strategy is to keep Ignatieff out of Ottawa, as the link Joanne referenced says, then I’m in!
    I hope it’s permanent!

It just dawned on me … “lights & electricity” is kind of redundant … I guess a result of sitting in the dark.

Re: getting Ms. Guergis back into caucus, I sort of agree. If the RCMP cleared her, if the Ethics Commissioner cleared her, why should ahe be kept out?

If she were reinstated, it would prove to the Harper Carpers not only that the PM does have a heart and that he can forgive and forget, but also that he demands high standards with not a whiff of misconduct in the members of his caucus. Once cleared, they should be welcomed back.

The only drawback is that Ms. Guergis is pregnant. I don’t know how far along she is, but is it fair to her constituents for her to go on maternity leave? What happens in her riding in the interim? Mind you, that would happen whether she’s back in caucus or still out of it.

we need to keep out of Helena Guergis affairs period
    I hope she continues to fight the good fight but we know nothing of the details and I trust the Prime Minister of Canada Stephen Harper to make the right decision
    the media have contributed to Helena Guergis problems why should we trust the media now
    my two cents

fh

85. batb says:

Bec, thanks. My spidey sense doesn’t just tingle when the Patel, Avaaz, O’Malley, and Atwood names come up, I also get a distinct whiff of sulfur. Whenever totalitarianism and tyranny are wrapped in weasel words of “freedom” and “human rights” — but the agenda is nothing of the kind — you know that things are inside out and upside down. We know where this configuration is from.

As for Helena Guergis, I’m with fh. If she had not gone crying, literally, to the media, maybe bring her back into the CPC fold. But after her interview with I’m-Peter-Mansbridge-and-you’re-not, I can see why the PM might want to keep her at arms length. There’s something about the Guergis/Jaffer partnership that makes me uncomfortable — and our Prime Minister is privy to facts about all of this that we aren’t. It’s too easy to judge based on what WE know, and dangerous to judge on what we don’t know.

Again, last night, Joanne, I couldn’t get in to your site. I posted at 8:01 p.m. and that was that. The Loading icon kept spinning, and spinning, and spinning. No go. Is your site being targeted and is it on overload, maybe? Hmmm.

Zing!! Well done there, Batb.

Thanks for letting me know about that. I appreciate everyone’s input. Some of this stuff is out of my control if it has to do with the server but if it continues please let me know and I’ll contact Cynapse who looks after such things for me.

Warmistas are going to reframe cc [climate change] as a pubic health issue: PHIFIGLEAF.

Phifigleaf?

“Ed says:
    September 16, 2010 at 2:25 pm

“Panelists will share their best practices for public and media engagement, debate how to respond to critiques, and explore the idea of reframing climate change as a public health issue.”

In other words, in the absence of credible science, how to use PR as a fig-leaf.”

“Y2Kyoto: It’s A Contest!

Anthony Watts, on The morphology of “global warming”;

Obama’s science Czar John Holdren has decided the new name for global warming, er, climate change shall be:

Because the first two didn’t work apparently.

And neither will this. First of all, it’s three words, and secondly, they don’t exactly roll neatly off the tongue. That adds up to one big fat TV reporter fail.

So, comments are now open to SDA reader suggestions for a new Big Scary Name for the coming fourth stage of morph.

Winners will be announced Monday. Keep it clean.”

It’s true the media, and the opposition are playing the Guergis issue against the Conservatives both ways. They attacked her like savaged hounds until she was gone, now they’re purring to her like friendly kittens, attempting to make the PM look like a mean old monster. It’s called abusing and using. They’re a disgusting lot displaying the worst of politics.

An interesting and entertaining column in Ottawa Sun today by Michael Harris: “Whipped vote on registry misses the mark.”

He writes:

“Next week, though, there will be no hiding behind bus tours and posing in tight jeans – the Marlborough man who can’t ride a horse.”

I think Michael might be concerned for people like Wayne Easter who could go down on this one. I say boo-hoo!

PET Cemetery Report.

Mao Stlong, aka Maurice Strong, is Canadian “Liberal leader” Bob Rae’s Uncle Mo*.

Mo cuts to the arts by:

“By Arifa Akbar, Arts Correspondent”.

“Mao’s Great Leap Forward ‘killed 45 million in four years’

By Arifa Akbar, Arts Correspondent”

“Mao Zedong, founder of the People’s Republic of China, qualifies as the greatest mass murderer in world history, an expert who had unprecedented access to official Communist Party archives said yesterday.

Speaking at The Independent Woodstock Literary Festival, Frank Dikötter, a Hong Kong-based historian, said he found that during the time that Mao was enforcing the Great Leap Forward in 1958, in an effort to catch up with the economy of the Western world, he was responsible for overseeing “one of the worst catastrophes the world has ever known”.

Mr Dikötter, who has been studying Chinese rural history from 1958 to 1962, when the nation was facing a famine, compared the systematic torture, brutality, starvation and killing of Chinese peasants to the Second World War in its magnitude. At least 45 million people were worked, starved or beaten to death in China over these four years; the worldwide death toll of the Second World War was 55 million.” (mo)

*Liberal MP Bob Rae’s Uncle Mo:

“When Rae was growing up, Strong was entertained at the family home so often by his father, Saul, that young Rae says he fondly called Strong, “Uncle Mo”.”

“Bob Rae for Canadian Prime Minister!”

90. Alberta Girl says:

Joanne, I too could not get on last night..very strange.

Reg Helena…I can’t for the life of me understand why she would be so friendly with the very media that caused her downfall. Something doesn’t smell right. Or maybe she is just a very naive person.

I couldn’t log in either yesterday at 10:45 & again at 11:20, but I had no trouble during the day, while others did.

Those of you who commented on Helena Guergis, maybe you’re right, especially about the media first abusing her and now using her (Liz J).

Poor Ezra. Nothing like the power of suing or threatening to sue to induce silence.

Soros certainly has the power, the power of money.

Young people like Ezra and Kory are not in any position to fight such battles unless they want to risk bankruptcy.

No, I’d never underestimate Ezra ,Joanne, can’t imagine he’ll be silenced, but he does ask for donations.

94. With all due respect to Woody Allen, I think he’s out to lunch on this one.

95. batb says:

Actually, Propagandist magazine, Woody Allen isn’t due much respect, given his behaviour with Mia Farrow’s daughter. There’s something really off about the guy.